Lake Tejas is a spring fed family style recreation lake located on 69 wooded acres just one mile east of Colmesneil on FM 256. It includes more than 35 sites including 11 full hook-up RV sites  6 cabins  open camping sites and covered pavilions  as well as group shelters for both day use and overnight stays. It is open for swimming from Memorial Day Weekend thru Labor day but year round for camping  fishing  or gatherings. The beautiful landscape  crystal cool water  and family atmosphere make it the perfect place to hold reunions  school trips  birthday parties  church retreats  scout campouts  vacations  or just a fun filled family day in the sun. The swimming area has approximately 80 yards of sandy beach with plenty of room to run and play and a buoyed swimming area large enough to accommodate all levels of swimming ability. Rent a tube or bring the float of your choice and float out away from the chaos on the beach to find your own private place to tan and socialize. From the total novice to the advanced swimmer  there is plenty of fun for the entire family. With 1 regular and 1 water volleyball area  pool tables   3 diving boards including a high dive  a roped childrens zone with 2 slides  a concession area selling candy  drinks  food   and icecream    no one is left out. Lake Tejas may have anywhere from 1 to 6 trained Guards on duty at any given time according to the volume of swimmers. These guards are certified in CPR/First aide as well as professionally trained in water safety and rescue. Fishing is free  however  all fishing is catch and release to help preserve the balance of our lake  There is no swimming allowed outside the bouyed swimming area. Personal canoes  kayaks  and small boats are welcome but no gasoline powered motors are allowed to help keep our water clean for all who come.

Colmesneil is at the intersection of U.S. Highway 69 and Farm Road 256  nine miles north of Woodville in north central Tyler County. The town  sometimes referred to as Colmesneil Junction  was named for one of the first conductors on the Texas and New Orleans Railroad through the area. The T&NO line was crossed at Colmesneil by the Trinity and Sabine. In 1881 Jay Gould  of the Missouri  Kansas and Texas Railroad  secured a charter for the Trinity and Sabine and built sixty-six miles of track from Trinity to Colmesneil  which became a railroad center for Tyler County. It had the only turntable in the county at the end of the Waco  Beaumont  Trinity and Sabine line. The actual terminus of the railroad was not located in what today is thought of as downtown Colmesneil  but rather in what flourished for a time as a neighboring town called Ogden. The two towns had a long-standing feud  largely between the Manns and Sturrocks of Colmesneil and the Ogdens and Campbells of Ogden. The two towns were consolidated under the single name of Colmesneil in early 1888.
In 1889 Colmesneil shipped cotton and other products from Jasper  Newton  Sabine  San Augustine  and Angelina counties. Since the land around the town is too hilly for cultivation  local products were confined to timber and some cattle. The Yellow Pine Lumber Company operated a sawmill in Colmesneil in the 1880s. At one time Colmesneil was larger than Beaumont. The S. H. Meadows general store  owned and operated by the same family since 1892  is the oldest business establishment in Tyler County. The East Texas Hotel was built by Levi Fortenberry in 1888  bought by C. W. Matthews in 1916  and owned by Mrs. Easter Mann in 1986. The first post office in Colmesneil opened in 1882.
The population was at its height around 1890 at 1 016. By 1900 it was down to 632  and in 1931 it was 370  but by 1939 it was back to 1 000. In the late 1980s it was 600. Nearby Lake Tejas  fed by cool springs  provided water sports for a large East Texas area. At that time the town had a bank  a car dealership  several small grocery stores  and a good high school with an excellent sports record. In 1990 the population was 569  and in 2000 it was 638.